I’ve experimented with both protein and energy balls many times, always searching for the perfect consistency and flavour. Protein balls can be tricky to perfect as some protein powders are quite over powering and dominate the flavour.
Having raw protein balls pre-made and stored in the fridge makes snacking throughout the day quick, easy and most importantly, healthy. I also like to have these as a post-workout to help muscles recover faster after a hard training session. This choc mint flavour is one of my favourites!
The best thing about these raw protein balls is that it takes just 15 mins to make them, clean up and do the dishes - easy!
- ½ cup dates (soaked for 10mins)
- ½ cup almonds
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate protein powder (I am lactose intolerant so to make these dairy free I use Body Science Organic Chocolate Protein)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbs rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp mint essence
- Shredded or desiccated coconut (topping)
1. Place all ingredients (apart from the shredded coconut) in a food processor and blend until you have a thick and sticky consistency. If you prefer a smoother consistency, blend the almonds into an almond meal first, but I personally think it takes better with some small almond chunks! For a smoother consistency you can also add a little more coconut oil or rice malt syrup.
2. Now it's time to get your hands dirty! Sprinkle a layer of shredded coconut on a chopping board. Roll up the mixture into small balls and roll them over the shredded coconut.
3. Place the protein balls in the fridge to set for an hour.